What are Vibro Peening / Dot Peening / Vibro Engraving / Pin Marking Services?
Vibro Peening (or Dot Peening) is the process of a rapidly vibrating carbide cutter marking into the surface of a part. When the mark is viewed under a loupe, one will see a series of microscopic dots pushed together, but when viewed by the naked eye, the mark will appear to be a continuous line.
Pros of Vibro Peening / Dot Peening / Vibro Engraving / Pin Marking Services
- Very little pressure is applied on the part. Too much pressure on a metal part could result in a “stress riser” or a concentration of stress that could lead to cracking. Vibro Peening reduces this risk.
- A very legible “Engraved-look” mark
- Can hold extremely tight tolerances on marking location and depth
Features of Vibro Peening / Dot Peening / Vibro Engraving / Pin Marking Services
- Manufacture custom-made cutters in-house to required bevel and tip-off radius, thus reducing customer cost
- Versatile bevel settings: Marking pin cone angle from 10 degrees to 82 degrees
- Versatile tip-off radiuses as small as 0.002”
- Typical marks include: Serial Numbers, Part Numbers, Cage Codes, Manufacturing Numbers, and Date Codes
- i. Common Part Marking Specifications for Vibro Peening include Spec SAE AS478, Spec MIL-STD-130, Boeing Spec BAC5307, Parker Aerospace Spec BPS 4106, General Electric Spec P23TF3, & Sikorsky Spec SS8798