What are Dot Matrix Marking Services?
A Dot Matrix is a simple grid pattern of dots used to create a number or letter as one would see on an old score board or an old computer screen. The key to legibility and definition is the density of dots. However, density can present problems in Low Stress Marking applications. The key to maintaining Low Stress while sustaining legibility is by balancing dot frequency with character size.
Pros of Dot Matrix Marking Services
- Very legible marks in clear fonts to eliminate confusion in marked text
- Very little pressure is applied on the part. Too much pressure on a metal part could result in a “stress riser” or a concentration of stress that could lead to cracking. Dot Matrix Marking reduces this risk
Features of Dot Matrix Marking Services
- Capability to produce a Dot Matrix Mark via multiple marking methods: Laser Etching, Rotary Engraving, Vibro Peening, or Electrochemical Etching
- Ability to mark flats, rounds and irregular shaped parts
- Shallow Marking Depths (under 0.003” deep)
- Can mark parts up to 24” x 48”
- Typical marks include: Serial Numbers, Part Numbers, Cage Codes, Manufacturing Numbers, and Date Codes
- i. Common Part Marking Specifications for Dot Matrix Marking include Spec SAE AS478, Spec MIL-STD-130, Boeing Spec BAC5307, Parker Aerospace Spec BPS 4106, General Electric Spec P23TF3, & Sikorsky Spec SS8798