What are Laser Engraving Services?
Laser Marking is the most versatile of all marking methods. Laser Marking is a non-contact form of marking in which a CNC machine directs a laser beam as small as 0.002” in diameter to cut through a part to a desired depth. Laser Markings with depths greater than 0.002” are considered to be Laser Engraved, while Laser Markings with depths 0.002” or shallower are considered to be Laser Etched.
Laser Engraving is ideal for parts that require a deep mark (over 0.030” deep), but cannot withstand the high stress that results from other marking methods, such as Engraving or Impression Stamping, which put the part in direct contact with a cutter or a die.
Pros of Laser Engraving Services
- Customized artwork will be engraved directly onto a part
- Can hold extremely tight tolerances on marking location and depth
- Extremely fast marking cycle time for high volume jobs
- Consistent repeatability of mark from part to part
Features of Laser Engraving Services
- Versatile fixtures that accommodate marking on multiple rounds, flats, hex, and planes in ONE operation, thus reducing customer cost
- Versatile Part Sizes: 0.020” up to 8 feet in length
- Versatile Part Materials: metal, plastic, glass, and wood
- Versatile Part Surfaces: Heat Treated, Anodized, Painted, Coated, or Light Sensitive
- Versatile Depths from 0.003” to 0.040”
- Common Part Marking Specifications for Laser Engraving include Spec SAE AS478, Spec MIL-STD-130, Parker Aerospace Spec BPS 4106, General Electric Spec P23TF3, & Sikorsky Spec SS8798